Transporting Students

A Public Passenger Endorsement (A) license is required before you can transport students in a vehicle.

Driving students is a small but important part of what we do at Pomfret, and all faculty members are required to hold this license. It is critical that you begin the application process immediately after being hired. Please contact the Transportation Safety Coordinator in the Business Office for assistance with this process. Once properly submitted, it can take up to 16 weeks for the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to approve your application. In addition to the DMV requirements listed below, you must complete and return this driver application to the Business Office.

Getting a Connecticut License

Before you can apply for a Public Passenger Endorsement (A), you will first need to secure a driver's license issued by the State of Connecticut. The Department of Motor Vehicles requires new residents to transfer out-of-state licenses within 30 days of establishing residency in Connecticut. You are responsible for the cost of a Connecticut license.

Where To Go

The Willimantic Office is our closest full-service hub. The Putnam branch does not process out-of-state license transfers.

What to bring
What It Costs
  • The application fee is $40
  • The license fee is $72 or $84. Fee varies on number of years the license will be valid. All fees are subject to change. Please check the DMV website for latest info.

The DMV accepts cash, money orders, personal checks, bank checks, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and most debit cards. If paying by check, please bring two checks for this process, and make them payable to DMV.

Public Passenger Endorsement

Once you have secured a Connecticut driver's license, you are ready to apply for your Public Passenger Endorsement (A) license. Pomfret will reimburse you for all of the direct expenses associated with getting this endorsement.


The Willimantic Office is our closest full-service hub. The Putnam branch does not process public passenger endorsements.


Connecticut Driver's License

If you do not have a driver's license issued by the State of Connecticut, please see "Getting a License" before going any further.

Certified Driving History and Criminal Record

If you’ve held a Connecticut license for fewer than five years, you must present a certified driving history and a certified criminal record from previous licensing state(s). These histories must cover the last five years. The Department of Motor Vehicles can provide you with a certified driving history and the Department of Public Safety can provide you with a certified criminal record. This directory lists the phone numbers of each department by state. Applicants from the following closed record states are only required to submit a certified driving history: AZ, CA, MS, NC, TN, and VT.

Please Note:

Please have these completed histories in hand before scheduling your DMV physical.

Sex Offender Check

To qualify for the public passenger endorsement, you'll need to run a sex offender check using this online database within 5 days of submitting your application to the DMV. Once the check has been performed, you must print the date-stamped list as proof.

Fingerprint Form

We strongly recommend you have your fingerprints done at the Fingerprint Unit of DESPP (Dept. of Emergency Services and Public Protection) in Middletown, CT, (860-685-8480). Hours are 8:30 – 4:15, Monday – Friday. Directions. You will need to bring a current license or passport for ID. The cost is $15 and they accept cash or check, but no credit cards. No appointment is required. Pomfret will pay mileage costs associated with this trip. DO NOT BEND THE FINGERPRINT CARD

Physical Exam Certificate

A completed Medical Examiner’s Certificate and a Medical Examination Report must be dated within 90 days of submitting your application. You can choose to schedule an exam with Quiet Corner Family Practice (860-315-5400) or Dr. Nancy Austin on campus during the school year (860-963-6182). These two providers bill Pomfret directly. Pomfret will reimburse up to $100 of the cost of a physical done elsewhere. Note: not all MDs are Certified Medical Examiners. Please check the national registry (click on Zip Code search) to ensure the doctor you choose is a certified medical examiner.

Please Note: Pomfret needs a copy of the medical examiner's certificate.

Public Passenger Endorsement (A) Application

You must also fill out a completed application.

To submit your application, mail your completed documents (R-7, fingerprint cards, copy of MCSA-5876 [Medical Examiner’s Certificate, keep original], sex offender check, copy of Connecticut driver's license, and if applicable, certified driving and criminal histories [send originals, keep copies]) along with a signed money order or check made payable to DMV for $87.00 to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Attention: Public Passenger Endorsement Review Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

The DMV will not accept documents that are more than 90 days old.
Willimantic is the closest full-service DMV to Pomfret.

DCF form to be mailed or faxed directly to DCF ( NEW — as of July 24th )

The last page of the R-7 must be filled out by all applicants and mailed or faxed directly to DCF:

Mailing Information:
DCF Careline Background Searches

505 Hudson Street – 5th floor
Hartford, CT 06106
Fax: (860) 560-7071

Pomfret Driver Application Form (In addition to the DMV requirements)

In addition to the DMV requirements listed above, and before driving for Pomfret, new employees will need to fill out a driver application and have an initial drug test.

When your application has been approved you will receive an email (if you provided an email address on the application) or a letter from the DMV. You may then go to the nearest hub office (Willimantic) and pick up your new license.


The cost of the Public Passenger Endorsement (A) License will vary depending on when your CT license expires. The DMV accepts cash, money orders, personal checks, bank checks, Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and most debit cards.

For more details and latest updates visit the DMV website

Drug Testing

In addition to the initial and random drug testing that is required by the state of Connecticut for all employees who drive students, Pomfret School reserves the right to administer drug tests to current employees when there is reasonable suspicion that an employee is under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

If an employee fails a drug test, discipline by the School will be determined by the Head of School on a case by case basis. To the extent possible, any and all test results and disciplinary discussions will be kept confidential. The School retains the right, in accordance with an individual’s at-will status as an employee of the School, to make any employment decision it deems appropriate, including possible termination of employment, as a result of failure to pass the drug test.