Stories give shape to the confusion of life.
The English curriculum at Pomfret is vigorous and vibrant. By examining words, sentences, characters, and plots, our students learn what it means to be human. English courses at Pomfret challenge students to engage fully with the texts, their teachers, and their peers in discussion-based classes. Students write often, in a variety of genres, from the analytical to the personal to the imaginative.
- Are You Afraid of the Dark? American Horror
- Nuestras Historias: Latin American Literature and Film
- That Escalated Quickly: The Art of Flash Fiction
- Walking Through the Apocalypse: Visions of the Future
- सर्वं ज्ञानं मयि विद्यते: Exploring post-colonial literature in South Asia
- Literature of the Land
- Strong Women: Antigone and A Doll’s House
Our English faculty is comprised of teachers who love the literary arts and make it a large part of their lives. Many of Pomfret's English faculty are published authors and have established reputations for their work far beyond the halls of Pomfret School. The Department also offers an exciting annual lineup of visiting authors, further broadening the horizon of what is possible for our students.
Four years of English, through all three terms of English IV.